The pace of our first five days seemed brisk to me. There wasn't much time to sit back and reflect on what was happening. Even now (I've been home almost a week) I find myself thinking back and enjoying my experiences more so now than when I was actually there.
As for Rome, I like it! There are so many stories that go with this city it could easily take a lifetime to learn them all. Our guide keeps reminding us of things in our lives that originate from here (words, symbols, food...). Here's one example: The symbol that hospitals use with the snake wrapped around the cane came from a legend about the island in the middle of the Tiber river (the Tiber flows through Rome). In ancient Rome, the island in the river was a place to send
people who were sick so they could be healed. Nicola was not completely clear on the story but he knew enough to tell us that the symbol came from Rome... I'm inclined to believe him.
people who were sick so they could be healed. Nicola was not completely clear on the story but he knew enough to tell us that the symbol came from Rome... I'm inclined to believe him.Did you know? In order to officially call yourself a Roman you must be able to trace your family back 7 generations. Nicola (our tour manager) is a third generation Roman. That means if his family stays in Rome his great-great-grand kids will be able to call themselves "true" Romans.
No comments:
Post a Comment